Thursday, May 24, 2007

Robo-a-go-go


APE, or the Alternative Press Expo, was last month here in windy San Francisco and, oh, what a convention it was. This year marked the publication of my first mini-comic. It rolled out with a bang and left a stain on the red carpet. I printed about 100 copies for the con, and sold nearly all of 'em, (don't tell the IRS.)

The two day event was a sea of interesting people with only a few, (I won't say unwelcome out loud,) Star Wars costumes, heralded by fellow artist Jeffry asking, "What's that smell?" To which I responded, "Jedi." Even as a bartender I don't think I've ever talked (or laughed) so much. An experience rewarded at the end of each day with a welcome cocktail.

APE is the premiere comic convention for talent and innovation. Never was so much talent, in fact, packed into one room. Each year it seems to get better. So many artists, and not just the kind who make comics put out a great show this year. It was so driven by amazing art that instead of being exhausted by the rough week of inking and photoshopping and kinkoing (yes I made it up,) I left the building wanting to make more and more comics.

And so I do.

No comments: